Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Ideas & Recruiting

Post  Dio on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:58 pm

The title of this thread basically explains it's purpose,
    this is also a sticky so you don't have to worry about it dropping off the board either.

1. If you've an idea you want to bring up for people, and get some feedback on then bring it up here.

2. If you want to recruit some players who're allready on the forum then post here, remember to state how many your looking for when your recruiting for a adventure aswell.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay

Re: Ideas & Recruiting

Post  Dio on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Digital Dio Saga
    Sample Idea

Major Themes;
    Parody/Tribute, Mythology/Popular Culture, Video Game Styled, Intentional Chaos, Drama Factory

Format;
    Public; Anyone can suggest the next course of action.

Summary;
    Control the forum's admin as he recruits his trusty fellows on a quest to (initially) unwittingly save the planet in a fictional setting loosely based off reality with influences from the Megami Tensei games.

Above; Sample character art for Dio and his trusty associates.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Am I the final boss? :P

Anyway, interesting to see if anyone else will post an adventure.

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Digital Dio Saga [Updated]
    Actually becoming a cool idea in my mind.

Major Themes;
    Parody/Tribute, Mythology/Popular Culture, Video Game Styled, Intentional Chaos, Drama Factory, Fantasy Setting, Psycological Themes, Magic, Personal Weaknesses

Format;
    Public; Anyone can suggest the next course of action.

Summary;
    When Dio recieves a mysterious package which states it's from his Brother containing a Strange DVD for use with his computer he is confused, why the hell would his brother send him a gift on any other day but his birthday? Regardless, who cares if it's a hoax right? Theres enough anti-virus software on this PC to have it survive even if it wasn't sent by him.
    However when he runs the disk he's transported to a mysterious space; the Velvet room where he meets Igor and his Assistant, they inform him that he's stumbled into a situation and that he'll have to rely on others if he's to get out of it!
    With this warning he once again warped, finding himself in a mysterious mansion shrouded in dense fog he begins his adventure! What Co-horts await him in his quest, what dangers lurk waiting in this world, and who sent him that package!?

Recruitment notes;

0 The Fool, 3 The Empress, 7 The Chariot, 9 The Hermit, 16 The Tower, 18 The Moon, 19 The Sun, 20 Judgment, 21 The World. These are all taken.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Warning; lots of text.

Spoiler:
    Dio's Upcoming Project FAQ

Q: Whats the project exactly?
    A: It's something of a free flow comic, i'm intending to allot for viewers to input ideas when it comes to situations in the progression of the story including allot of the character development.

Q: Who's the Main character?
    A: Me actually, I can't deny the self insert since the idea of a self insert adventure comic is part of what started this, originally I was going to run it as much as I could alongside reality so i'ld try and copy what the 'Comic me' was doing as much as I could; however this rapidly became obviously impossible.

Q: So your pestering people about themselves why?
    A: I'm looking for somewhere to start basing the other characters upon, or more accuratly I'm roughly basing two characters per one person; If you could almost imagine a 'Light and Dark' side of yourself there is a mechanic i'm about to explain about the psycological ideas of the 'Persona' and 'Shadow'.

Q: Persona and Shadow, what are these?
    A: A 'Persona' is what they call the face which people give to everyday life, it's allot to do with how you subconciously present yourself to the world. The shadow is the opposite of this, it's to do with what lies behind the persona's facade and is essentially a name for a person's hidden worries, shames, secret motives and so forth.

Q: How does these Persona and Shadow relate into what your doing?
    A: Essentially the gist of the adventure is to save people from their overgrowing 'shadow' self, which in each case has become a seperate entity. Once a shadow is defeated, the rescued person can join the group and can weaponise their persona.

Q: So wait, before we get too bogged down in this Persona-Shadow business is there any other crazy stuff I should know about?
    A: Each person is to be associated with part of the Major Arcana ; which is used for fortune telling. There are 22 Major Arcana in total each with it's own qualities. Example the main character is associated with Arcana 0(or 22) 'The Fool', which is associated with Good Luck and walking into things unexpected, and stupidity to an extent.

Q: Major Arcana huh? Theres 22, without me having to look this up on Wikipedia what are they?
    A: 0 The Fool, 1 The Magician, 2 The High Priestess, 3 The Empress, 4 The Emperor, 5 The Hierophant, 6 The Lovers, 7 The Chariot, 8 Justice, 9 The Hermit, 10 Wheel of Fortune, 11 Strength, 12 The Hanged Man, 13 Death, 14 Temperance, 15 The Devil, 16 The Tower, 17 The Star, 18 The Moon, 19 The Sun, 20 Judgment, 21 The World.

Q: So why are people associated with these Arcana?
    A: In fortune telling they can be used to decern details about a person, in this case they relate to what is manifesting 'The Shadow Self' into a hostile being. Example 'The Hermit' might be tearing himself apart over solitude, or 'The Tower' might have been struck by great or near constant failure in their attempts at life.

Q: So basically your spying on what people's problems are for your own silly project?
    A: Actually i'm not probing that side of people that much, I don't want to make a comic what broadcasts your problems to the world since i'm sure you don't really want that, so far i'm mostly using my own imagination to try and think what could be bothering the fictional character based off each person.

Q: Right, so is there anything else I should know about?
    A: Well; since in many ways this sort of adventure which requires input is a game i've mixed in a common game mechanic, which is where the Persona of each person comes in; Everyone has their strengths and failings and i've made this into a literal statement by adopting a simple magic system which a persona and shadow is connected to.
    There are 7 properties to the system so to speak; Physical, Fire, Ice, Wind, Electric, Light and Dark - Everyone has their strength and failing and in the case of the Main character he is Strong with Wind and Weak with Fire; He can use more Wind Based magic as his persona develops aswell.

Q: Right, game mechanics are involved. Let me guess theres one based off people right?
    A: If you thought this then your right! A person's Persona can only be developed by making ties with others and self assertion! That is to say that if you get to know someone better your own persona's abilities change as you get accustomed to another Persona. Self assertion also comes into this, it's like a video game character getting XP - as you do more to assert your own self or find more reason to be assertive from things you've done your persona gets stronger.

Q: So basically, More people - More abilities?
    A: A team of talented people is more effective than one alone is it not? If your working with someone then you can always use their judgements and learn from their actions aswell! However while you can emulate someone you'll never truely become them aswell.

Q: What does that mean from a gameplay mechanic side of things then?
    A: Think of it this way; The main character's Weakness is Fire, in order to overcome Fire he needs to emulate someone who is strong against fire. Alternatively he can call upon the person who is strong against fire themselves. Assuming your have them alongside you.

Q: Right, so your gathering people in order to get more power to save more people; How do you go about saving someone from their Shadow though? It's subconcious right?
    A: As stated the Shadow has become it's own entity in each of the cases; There is a saying that a person's mind is their Fortress and in this case we take it literally; Perhaps your trying to save #4 The Emperor who's mind has created a castle you need to break into so you can find him and his Shadow; Or mabye #6 The Lovers has a Giant Stripclub full of monsters built up from their supressed desires - See where this is going yet?

Q: Ok, so what your telling me that Theres going to be Monster Filled Stripclubs cropping up based on someone's mind. Wouldn't that get y'know noticed in real life?
    A: Yes, it would. Since we're involving people from all over the world I figured a regular situation with real life restrictions would be problematic so a hint at the setting is that it's going to be something akin to a 'Collective Concience' thats formed and people are falling into because of the distruption within themselves.

Q: So in essence what information are you using to base a character off someone with?
    A: I use their Proffesion, Talent or Major Hobby to assign them a 'Class' such as Knight, Engineer, Cheerleader, Musician or something otherwise fitting to 'them' as an element as to who they are. I use the Major Arcana they feel fits to themselves the most (Though most people claim 'Justice' suits them, which it usually doesn't.). I ask them for a Strength and Weakness for their Persona based on the magic roulette. Then I ask them if they have any other talents they think are worth mentioning and that makes them themselves (Such as the ability to play Saxophone).

Magister Asked;
    ----------------
    Q: Wait... so... it's in their minds? The location?
    A: I suppose thats a good description, though since they themselves are in it it's more like a Hammerspace or Pocket Dimension.

Q: does to comic spend all of it's time there? Or do they have a sort of chill/character development space
    A: The initial 'Fortress' is a mansion based off my own imagining, most of it's locked up but the idea is that as Main Character develops more of the mansion is recovered. Obviously there is an omious upward stairway that is VERY LOCKED.
    EDIT: This was changed slightly due to mansion layout re-shifts.

Users of the EOA Forum asked;
    ------------------------------
    Q: Our two elements, are they like "Strong Represents what we deal with well and weak represents personality traits that tick us off? Like how I hate cold, inflexible people" or is it "Both are parts of you, but strong element is mostly beneficial, while weak element represents your failings"

A: To be honest i've mostly left it open to interpritation of the person i'm talking to, since i'm slightly sneaky that way; Personally I look at as The 'Strong' side being what comes through most and the Weak part is something you fail at doing. Example i'm Wind/Fire; So I'm really good at taking it easy and shifting the flow as it comes but I'm not good at getting worked up on my own, and i'm not good at dealing with other's firey personalities.

Q: What do the Major Arcana mean
    A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_arcana Info on them all can be found here, I suggest looking at the quick list of associated qualities or common phrases on each page. It gives a quick digest of what fits to each card.

Q: Can you tell us more about what a Persona is?
    A: Mostly i've been assigning and re-assigning these myself, A persona is basically the accumulated Facade of your personality. Except literally; Once the shadow is 'defeated' one way or another the person who it was connected to gains access to their Persona. These take after mythical beings, heroes, historical figures of major significance (E.h. Caesar) or some legendary being. These are essentially assigned based upon similarities between the person and the figure, For example Havock's Character (A cross-dresser) was assigned Dionysus as 'he had two births' in his legends.
    In order to cast magic one has to have a person, anyone without a persona is considered Weak versus all types of damage which is the majority of why they need to be rescued from their shadows by the heroes; since it'll attempt to kill them once it's grown too much.
    shadowclasper
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2010-04-29

Roleplay
    Guild: No allegiance
    Class: MAN OF SCIENCE!/Head Designate
    Disposition: Adventurous, Curious, Creative

Post  shadowclasper on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:03 pm

Mandatory for any aspect associated with my character in this:
    I always wear a bowler hat. My shadow should too. My persona probably would as well, even if it's confused as to why the hell it's got a bowler hat on when it doesn't fit the archetype ^^
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:12 am

Awesome, I love hats.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun May 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Got myself 6 sheets of A4 and started thinking up dungeon plans;
    Meaning that I've a rough idea of how the Mansion, Stadium, Gig and Engineer works will look and how they'll progress.
    Note that i'm intending to have a key theme for each of the 'dungeons' so that puzzle shit doesn't get boring.

The Mansion is of course the starting and later the staging grounds, It's prettymuch unique in that it's a safe haven and that it doesn't really have any complex puzzles other than in it's progression to being a safezone.
    The stadium has the key theme that you have to use light to progress. It's meant as a solo dungeon.
    The gig is currently the only area planned with large quantities of water, and therefore waterhazards. It's not neccisarily solo or a group dungeon.
    The engineer works is a zone of extremes, it is definently a group zone since there is lots of switches, levers and traps.

edit; There's the Secret base planned, it's got crane games.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 am

Someone suggest an idea for a quick adventure and i'll run it. :P
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:28 am

D&D Adventure (- Taverns)

You are a grumpy loner living alone in the wilderness, one day you spot that a band of some kind of mercinaries have entered your lands - you recognise upon their equipment the Arms of the Princess' Knights.

It comes to your attension that the influencial Archduke [tobenamed] sprung a coup d'etat against the crown while the royal forces were at war in [EnemyCountry]; The princess is with the group of knights but they're low on manpower, moral and they're but a rabble of royal retainers instead of battle hardened warriors;

As an expert in wilderness survival & [stuff to do with your class choice] they've asked you to help them keep the Princess from the hands of the Archduke untill the kind's armies return from overseas.

Needed resourced:
    1 decidated player who likes srs bsnss unlike my usual semi-serious adventures which are apparently not good enough.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 am

Serious business man reporting in.

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:34 am

In other news I recieved a translated copy of "Danmaku Yuugi -Flower-", aka. Tabletop Touhou rules;
    Don't worry though because they're definently Touhou related - aka they make no sense whatsoever!

Seriously...
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Ok people, i'm going to need NAME SUGGESTIONS here! Very Happy

We need a slightly non-standard name for a male character and a classy name for a female character!
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Thomas, Alicia

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Oh, I fergot to mention.
    We're after eastern style names in this case. :P
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Intending to organise and run a few DnD sessions over MSN, i'm still finishing up the scenerio details but as soon as I get a good shot at that I should be able to finish enough for the first leg of the campain.

Schedules for adventures in general are a bit shakey since i've got a good chance at getting a job recently so i'm aiming for it.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:00 am

Well, I have no suggestions besides "in the weekends"

Outie
    Squadron Leader
    Squadron Leader

Number of posts : 402
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Roleplay
    Class: Old One
    Disposition: Sleeping

Post  Outie on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:51 am

I support the weekends thing
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Well then, any volunteers for a Dungeons & Dragons campain?
    Outie
    Squadron Leader
    Squadron Leader

Number of posts : 402
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Roleplay
    Class: Old One
    Disposition: Sleeping

Post  Outie on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:43 am

sure
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:05 am

Righty, i'm actually thinking of using a virtual tabletop for this.
    Known simply as MapTools, there are four associated programs of which players only need MapTools (and mabye TokenTool if they want to use their own picture).

GMs can get a dice simulator with modifiers etc similar to the Wizards of the coast onsite dice and ~some other thing I can't quite remember what~.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:35 am

Sounds interesting.