Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Re: Dio's New Anime Review Thread

Post  Dio on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Paprika

Anyway, it's about time I did another oldie despite this being a thread for 'New' shows. Techincally speaking most of the old stuff I do is being released as 'new' somewhere so it still applies. Totally.

Regardless.

I actually brought this around to a friend's as a suggestion for something to watch before I'ld seen it myself, they read the back of the box and said "Sounds like an Anime Inception" before discarding the box. Well the major diffrence is that inception revolves around those dreams you have which seem realistic untill you wake up.

Paprika is about those dreams where your riding a flying harley over a sea of whales singing "I am the one and only" in slow motion whalesong.

Yes, It's awesome.
    Yes, you should watch it.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!
    aka. My Sister can't be this cute!

Since we're five episodes in I guess I should be able to give you a gist of what this show is about, it's a show about a guy who has no intrest in anime and manga with a sister who is into anime and manga... and he ends up getting all the stigmatism and shit for it.

I wandered over onto a few other sites and apparently there is a new 'tier' of character which is "Godly Bro Tier" and it's only resident is the main character of this show, because damn do people like to kick thedog in this show.

Naturally for someone who's has this sort of hobby and isn't really given any shit about it this seems to be a show about geek hate turned up to eleven, and if your someone who's passionate about defending your hobbies your going to hate a few of the characters in this show.

I guess if your a geek and your after something to rage about this is a good show for you, or if you want to indulge in fantasies of being used as a tool by an annoying younger sibling [Wait, i'm a younger sibling...] then this is the show for you!
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:03 am

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls

Ok, lets gun down another title for this season shall we?
    Guess what; It's time for me to roll out one of the fanservice shows!

This is your usual kind of bland setup, guy comes to town, finds out he has ability X which in this case is "The Power of the General"; Aka. Kiss girls to make 'em fight better.
    Naturally with this sort of talent he has the natural harem building talents of a your average male lead in a harem anime; You know the drill.
    Oh and one of his bints falls out of the sky, she's the main one because she got the most magical introduction.

Talking about bints each of the ladies naturally come in a veriety of flavours including big-forehead loli and big-breasted everything else... Ok mabye thats only two flavours but the french bint atleast has a little bit of originality despite looking exactly like that other girl from Sekirei who in turn is a blonde adult wearing Sougintou's spare clothing.

So wait, why am I watching this?
    Oh yeah, the art style and the multi-purpose ink-blotches. Whats cool about this show is someone randomly decided during it's creation that it "Needs moar caligraphy!" for some reason and the show actually managed to develop it's own destinctive style. No really, i'm not kidding it's a harem show with a pretty original art style as far as i've seen (Which is quite a bit).

Why would you want to watch this?
    Ink Blotches, Protip you'll get to see more of those delicious ink blotches if you watch it censored. Mmmn, Delicious Ink Blotch.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:02 am

=====================
    Special Edition Post!
    ---------------------
    The Endless of Anime!
    =====================

Whats the big deal then? Well i'm in a bit of a odd mood where I want to 'get things done', whatever those things are. I guess i'm just publishing content today. Anyway here's the plan, we're going to look into "The Big Three" and the other never-fucking-finishing shows of Anime. Basically if it's going to have more than 100 episodes then i'm going to try and mention it if I can.

Lets get the worst of the bunch out of the way first.

Noruto

First off I suppose I have to acknowledge that this is definently a kid's show by nature, I mean the whole friendship conquers all and the fact the main character fails his proffesion forever gives this away. However I was agast in my college years by the amount of people who couldn't get the hint and were still watching this drivle.

Now the thing about endless shows is that they usually have a decent arc they go through based on the manga, and then the quality only goes down as the show gets closer and closer to where the manga is currently. Generally the plot is disected into 'Arcs' and our first Arc is about Noruto and chums going off to bash heads with a fellow called Zabuza.

Now obviously this is meant to be a show about Ninja's right? I mean perhaps the whole orange shirt thing is explainable by the fact our protagonist is a complete novice at the point in time - and ignore the fact he never takes a hint towards orange being the less stealthy of the two colours he wore as a kid. Which leaves us with the two adult ninjas to disect.

Kakashi and Zabuza. Kakashi was actually based off a character from the Tenchu game series (One of the better ninja stealth games) so he'll be respectable right?... Right? No, and despite the fact he doesn't wear bright colours and seems to carry some amount of useful equipment on him he fails as a ninja forever... Because he actually let a kid come along on a stealth mission wearing a blue and orange jacket which doesn't even work as a civilian disguise because all the villagers wear traditional clothing. Good one walking into the neighbouring country with a sign on your head saying 'Ninja'... Oh wait they actually DO wear a sign on their head saying they're a ninja and where they're from... Uh. Yeah.

Anyway, Zabuza is the villian and villians are usually placed in these shows for being slightly more competent than the protagonist is at the current time, sorting algorithm of evil and all that jazz. Oh and hey he's even wearing some camoflauge... but eh... I don't know if thats meant to be arctic camofluage or what, and I don't think they even have cows in Noruto. Seriously, I've not seen one, have you?

Oh, and half of every episode will be spent explaining how techniques work, no wonder some kid thought he could do sand bunshin by burying himself alive. The fact some kid was stupid enough to kill himself trying to copy this show kind of shows you the quality of the fandom; so it's not even something worth watching just to talk to other geeks about - Unless your looking for something to hate on.

I've actually seen quite a bit of the anime and manga over the years, from actually forcing myself to watch some of it to seeing rogue pages posted on image boards ; and I can tell you that no it doesn't defy the rule and 'Get Better'. It gets worse. If your over 13 years old then don't watch this. C'mon guys, theres better stuff to see with your time even if your bored.

---------

Bleach

Oh hey, the first arc of this show is actually pretty good! Then uh... the manga background start disappearing, the anime has a entire arc of fillers about elemental vampire homonculus things and then they decide that having another rescue arc will save them from sucking ass. Nice try but no, this show falls on it's arse the second Ichigo saved the day the first time.

Whats odd about Bleach is that the more 'powerful' Ichigo gets the more you see of him acting like some kind of ninny assed teen. First arc has him as the Delinquent gone Renegade Death God Underdog leader, the next arcs just turn him into a sobbing mess - and then the artist just goes ahead and finds a reason not to draw his face anymore.

The one positive aspect of this show is that unlike Noruto it's first arc actually manages to carry it'self, it's a good save-the-fucking-day affair, the whole feel of the first arc is "You say this is impossible? Well fuck you!" and if your willing to cut off watching a series then it's worth watching.

The Bleach fandom is marginally better than the Noruto fandom too, in that most of the retards find Noruto before they find bleach and thusly have spent a year watching that and growing the fuck up a little bit. However this puts them in the middle of teenage years, making the artist decide ANGST is the #1 way to connect to his fandom. Oh well.

---------

One Peice

The 'Third' of the big three, and actually the best one. Through some odd mutation this show actually manages to not start being shit after 100 episodes... at the expense that they always seem to be doing the same thing in some senses. Oh well, pirates are meant to be starting shit and it's not like they found the treasure yet right?

Likewise all of the big three seem to be about people with 'powers' to do something, and as far as character powers go this show has by far the wackiest and most intresting of them all. I mean one of the main crew members has the ability to make hands spontanously come from anywhere - tell me that isn't a fridge nightmare waiting to happen.

One Peice also seems to be the best of the 'Big Three' for community aspects aswell - All the kids are watching Noruto, The teens are angsting at bleach which means it's not untill college that anyone is watching One Peice. Meaning there is such thing as an intelligent one peice fan, heck even my older brother seems to like this series.

If your going for a big three series to watch, then try One Peice.
    You've got the normal aspect of the endless series where you'll always have more to watch of it and it actually doesn't throw it'self off a cliff plotwise. What I liked the most about this show is that when it did recaps it actually managed to keep them reasonably short, so you didn't end up with half an episode of what you saw last episode. Always a plus eh?

---------

Gintama

Gintama is like Bleach's bro, half the time they actually air right next to eachother over in japan and they're both about delinquent-esque guys with swords. Except Gintama is the cool brother who doesn't take himself so seriously he has a teenage breakdown.

Unlike the other series however Gintama doesn't seem to follow a particular direction however, sure every now and then a new character is introduced but the main priority of the each episode seems to be "Be Funny, or have an action sequence". Gintama also doesn't have the whole 'Every character has a power' stick jammed up it's ass, it simply assumes that if Character X is a robot then they'll do robot-like things so it avoids having to spend time explaining things to retards half the time. After all; jokes aren't funny if you have to explain them.

The lack of direction is quite good too, you can pick up Gintama wherever you like; example the first episode I ever saw was #103 and it was still funny and intresting as in of it'self. Pretty sure it was the one about Gintama having to help hook up a hideous transvestite with a club owner (Doing odd jobs is how he gets paid).

If One Peice seems a bit too childish for your sense of humor then Gintama might be a good alternative, it has it's kiddy moments but it aims for a slightly older audeience and it's nonsense just flows naturally without having to reinvent settings to keep you intrested.

---------

Fairy Tail

To me this feels like someone took One Peice's formula and tried to put a new spin on it, sure it works as a series but it's like the little kid who'll never be quite as cool as his daddy. It tries so hard to fill One Peice's shoes aswell, but half the time i'm actually being amused at in-jokes the artists have put in on the sly. (Like the guild mission board having a job titled "MONSTER HUNTER" with a picture of a dragon on it.)

The show actually has the decency not to referance the shit it throws into it's blending pot so it provides you with a "I see what you did there" smith when it gives the strongest woman the guild "Tytania" as a title. Yeah, go wiki it. I see you.

Overall the setting of the show feels like it's been taken straight from a MMO game, and the only anime i've seen use the world "Guild" without falling into the catagories of "Anime which are secretly set in a non-existant MMO game" was spice and wolf.

I guess this is sort of like an anime for WoW fans or something?
    The music is kind of cool too, I actually was convinced to watch this by a guy after he sent me one of the tracks from the show's OST, shame they can't stop overusing the few cool songs they have. Guess they used all their music budget.

---------

Dragon Ball Z

You probably watched this as a kid, i'ld review this but i've a pal called Josh and he could convince you that this show is god's gift to man. I'll see if I can convince him to do that actually.

---------

tl;dr : Watch Gintama or One Peice if any.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:11 am

Dragonball Z is epic purely for nostalgia purposes. Don't think I'd watch it these days.

And a really stupid point to pick up on but

"After all; jokes aren't funny if you have to explain them."

Mostly true but there's a comedian called Stewart Lee who disproves that statement (going through a phase of him atm).
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:15 am

mcmicken wrote:"After all; jokes aren't funny if you have to explain them."

Mostly true but there's a comedian called Stewart Lee who disproves that statement (going through a phase of him atm).

I thought that "Yeah theres exceptions" after writing it, deleted it then wrote it in again.
    It's a case of general rule I suppose, since in this case there was no exceptions.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Tantei Milky Holmes

The genius child detective group Milky Holmes vs the whatever theives.
    Except the both groups have super powers, then the milky holmes group gets hit my lightning and loses their powers. Now they have to try and find their powers back...

This show left me... tired.

I've come to an awareness that the people who make shows with these sorts of art styles are well aware of the fact they will have otaku fans, and while this show is aware of them and does occasionally throw in a referance thats too much of a spinball for a kid to notice it's still a shit ass show.

The main 'villian' is also clearly trying to get Milky Holmes back up and running too. Y'know, because she's bored.
    Oh she's also the sex appeal character for the otaku fans, she looks like she's in elementary school 1/2 the time, has oversized breasts and when she's in theif mode she wears bondage gear. Infact the whole ED is her in diffrent types of S&M outfits.

*Yawn*, I'ld tell you to watch this show if your a lolicon but she gets less screentime than her strip-gag minion (who is male obviously) so even out lolicon population couldn't watch this without being put off.

Don't watch this.

According to the Newspaper it got Worse.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:57 am

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

Hrm, this show actually covers it's bases in a way. I can't really bite at it too much other than in that the gags it generally uses are a tad overdone as for when it comes to anime. Though it did manage to make me snigger in the OP sequence which is a reletive first as far as my memory goes.

Actually, talking about OP and ED songs, out of all the shows i've been watching this show's OP and ED are the only ones that i've watched consistantly without fast-forwarding through once I got to about 3 episodes in, I should note i've watched 6 episodes I guess.

Mabye it's just a trend in my own personal viewing but this show makes tasteful use of 'Ugly characters', by that I mean characters who are obviously designed to be visually unappealing, unlike the idolised-in-appearance majority of characters. Even the main heroine goes beyond the call of duty to appear a bit bland (Like a post Mid-Teens Osaka).

Which bring us to the point of the show; it focuses around a small maid cafe - supposedly a glamorous place which fufills it's customer's every desire. It totally doesn't. Naturally as you've guessed it's a parody for it's genre 'Maid Animes' with pleasing heroines and cushy and luxurious surroundings.

Generally the whole niche-genre parody thing gets put on the sidelines, the actual parody aspects are usually low key unless your actually thinking about what your watching : Such as the fact that none of the orders made in the show by the customers are ever fufilled. Black Tea -> Coffee, Coffee -> Coca Cola or even a plate of Curry.

Also one of your Maths Teachers is in this show.
    Watch it I guess?
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 am

Shinryaku! Ika Musume

Righty then, lets move a step closer to the end of the season's releases shall we?
    I've been delaying a bit too long I think.

I'm afraid that this show has one of the more annoying theme tunes for the season, generally I wouldn't say the music is anything special aswell. Not so much a fast-forwarder OP as a 'fuck it, lets skip it entirely' kind of situation. The animation for this show on the other hand seems to be where they put their effort in, almost all of the movements are pleasantly fluid and it uses bold colours without going too far into tacky-cutsey levels.

Personally however I find the character development leaves allot to be desired, Iku Musume herself forms something of a 'do it all' heroine while despite being a non-serious enough character to be anything of a threat to anyone. Meanwhile all of the other characters are prettymuch generic stock. Considering it seems to be a character driven show it means the entire peice comes off as a sort of watered down soup as far as shows go.

I'ld like to get across i'm not saying it's a bad show (I don't regret watching it), i'm just saying that I don't feel it manages to be anything particularilly special and for what ideas it does have it seems to pass up the opportunity of being properly memorable.
    FlyingFantastica
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Number of posts : 259
    Registration date : 2010-08-01

Roleplay
    Class: Grand Guignol
    Disposition: Serene

Post  FlyingFantastica on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Have you reviewed Panty and Stocking
    It's by Studio Gaynax
    I like it and junk
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:23 am

FlyingFantastica
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay

Post  FlyingFantastica on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Dat scottish AHksent
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Neither of us have particularly Scottish accents though...not to my ears at least.
    Outie
    Squadron Leader
    Squadron Leader

Number of posts : 402
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Roleplay
    Class: Old One
    Disposition: Sleeping

Post  Outie on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:58 am

Naah, you aren't as bad as a few people I know.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Kuragehime

I'll be straight with you, this show is my favourite one for this the autumn season and I was leaving it last so I could do a review of it which gave it a bit of justice. From the very getgo it's plot flies in the opposite direction of most of the anime i've seen this season; however there is one thing which is leaving me annoyed, frustrated and near enraged.

Why isn't this show being released more quickly!? Goddamnit!!

Art wise this show doesn't do anything new, it's got bishonen guys and plain girls ; plot wise it's got crossdressers and female super geeks and then it rockets off with a plot which leaves you questioning what'll happen next. The characters considering how absurd their quirks are come of believably - no seriously - and while the heroine cleans up nicely as a plot-natural thing the rest of the female cast have their own clever adjustments whenever the man in a dress gets down to business.

One of the things about this show is the fact it always feels like it's building up to something, it's not exactly suspense but it certainly has the same effect. This is definently worth watching.
    FlyingFantastica
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay

Post  FlyingFantastica on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:53 am

Dio wrote:Kuragehime

I'll be straight with you, this show is my favourite one for this the autumn season and I was leaving it last so I could do a review of it which gave it a bit of justice. From the very getgo it's plot flies in the opposite direction of most of the anime i've seen this season; however there is one thing which is leaving me annoyed, frustrated and near enraged.

Why isn't this show being released more quickly!? Goddamnit!!

Art wise this show doesn't do anything new, it's got bishonen guys and plain girls ; plot wise it's got crossdressers and female super geeks and then it rockets off with a plot which leaves you questioning what'll happen next. The characters considering how absurd their quirks are come of believably - no seriously - and while the heroine cleans up nicely as a plot-natural thing the rest of the female cast have their own clever adjustments whenever the man in a dress gets down to business.

One of the things about this show is the fact it always feels like it's building up to something, it's not exactly suspense but it certainly has the same effect. This is definently worth watching.

Do not want bishonen animu like OHHC >__>
    But if the LADAYZ do most of the work it's cool
    I like it art wise.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 am

The main starting cast, Guess which one is male.
    for a character who's eyes aren't shown Bamba has some hax perceptive skills.

ps. top-mangaka-youd-never-guess-were-women
    FlyingFantastica
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay

Post  FlyingFantastica on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:54 am

Woah
    Some that anime in the list
    Look good;

Seikirei
    Yawaraka Sangokushi Tsukisase!! Ryofuko-chan
    Lament of the Lamb

The picture used for Lament of the Lamb reminds me of Tomie
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Cursed wrote:good; [...]
    Ryofuko-chan

Sorry but no, just no.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:11 am

After reading that list, it occured to me that I never thought about author genders when reading something.

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:33 am

*Sigh* Just watched Kuragehime 8, now I need to wait another week for it to be 'Best time of the week' again.
    FlyingFantastica
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay

Post  FlyingFantastica on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:38 am

Dio wrote:*Sigh* Just watched Kuragehime 8, now I need to wait another week for it to be 'Best time of the week' again.

Sounds cool
    What's that anyway
    Fanservice plenty?
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Nah, not really any fanservice.
    Doesn't really phase me that much.
    FlyingFantastica
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay

Post  FlyingFantastica on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Let's see
    Moar anime for you to review?
    It's just anime right? No mangos mixed in?
    Welp;

-Pumpkin Scissor's

The end
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:49 am

Yeah i've seen that, i'll get a review up in some unknown timescale;
    roughly when I do a rewatch so I see the mandatory amount of episodes of it for a review.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:34 am