Number of posts : 3606
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Dio's New Anime Review Thread

Post  Dio on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:19 pm

This is a thread about my impressions of shows from the season that i've seen about 4 episodes or so for, i'll give it a brief and then decide if I think it's any good. To reveal part of the upcoming broadcasting slots Mcmicken will be joining me for review podcasts (When theres nothing better to talk about.) which will be posted instead of my personal rants on the shows.

Durarara!!

This show takes a while to get into things, it does the whole alternative character per episode narration bit and sometimes fills up holes left open in one episode to the next; and other times it doesn't. I've seen 4 episodes and I'ld say 3 was my favourite episode and 4 was the least liked of them all.

The art is pretty consistant, it's not exactly spectacular but it keeps a level of quality accross the board so i've not caught any particular eyesores yet; perhaps I need glasses though.
    Music wise, I only really noticed the theme that plays at 'hope' moments for general background music. The OP is broken up by a narration section which annoys me since I assume it'll have something important in it but so far it doesn't seem to. The ED is... well I don't think i've bothered listening to it lets just say that.

Character wise, pretty decent; there seems to be a distinct line of 'Normal'/'Unique' people, an example of a 'Normal' being the inital narrator where as an example of 'Unique' is say the Dullahan or the guy who throws vending machines around all the time. I've taken a distinct disliking to the narrator of episode 4, a certain post on a certain imageboard reading "No you can't live with the fucking thing!" just about sums it up. bastard doesn't seem to understand monsters or women.

Rating; Meh
    I've rated this as Meh because it doesn't particularilly do anything for you, sure it provides a form of entertainment but an episode can go by without you feeling like anything particularilly intresting has happened. Basically it only holds enough intrest to keep your attension while your watching it, but don't ecpect to explode off the back of the seat shouting Holy shit Awesome as the episode comes to a close.

Ladies vs Butlers

Oh lord! Fanservice! I hope you didn't come here looking for intresting plots or character development because goddamn the show cuts the crap and breaks through to the point like the powertools the heroine has for hair! I've likewise seen 4 episodes of this show currently and it seems to have jumped onto a bandwagon of a 'Lover per episode' rota. Obviously the two main females hang on and have antics in the mean time but basically each episodes is about either winning the affections or being harrassed because of the affections of a new girl so far. Yeah, it's pretty bloody blunt about it too.

Art; I'ld say the art was good if there wasn't only mabye 4 unique outfits between the cast - you get a hunch that the girls simple have a head and a bust that is stuck onto a standard template. What with it readilly informing you there is only 4 *Cough* Whoops almost blew the reverse-trap's cover there *Cough* 5 males around and 3 4 of them wear the same thing kind of gives you a hint for that side of the cast too. Unique Outfits; Main guys average joe clothes, principles clothes, strict teacher's clothes, Upper Class Male's clothes - prove me wrong!
    Music; Same old shit you heard everywhere before.

See?
    Characters; Each of the female cast are given roughly 3 defining characteristics; Head, Bust and Personality Quirk. For example after falling on the main character the 'Clumsy Maid' gives us a wailing exposition of how she fails everything all of the time, total subtle like.
    Humor; I laughed at some bits, this is what saved the show from a absolute fail and oddly what I have the least to say about... eh... yeah.

Rating: I laughed a few times.
    Don't watch it if you aren't a freaky-fish-guy who watches hentai, or a normal person who watches Hentai... wait do normal people watch that shit?... I guess not thinking about it. Anyway it's basically a mix of cheap laughs and fanservice, it'll obviously have a happy ending seeing as the female cast are mindlessly humpinging his face from the word go (Episode 1). Yeah... The only way I can see bad ends are if the secondary female gets overly Yandere on the guy or if he's suffocated by a facefull of beef curtain, though... that'ld be a bit funny in a way.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Re: Dio's New Anime Review Thread

Post  Dio on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 am

TO

A space anime, or I would say anime if it wasn't 3d animated - the fact it's an 'anime' is only given away by the few younger characters. Oh by the way It was shit too if you were wondering.
    I mean first off they ripped off a scene from Star War - and I mean even I noticed it and you know how much I go on about star wars day and night; the introduction with the star destroyer chasing the rebel ship except minus the rebel ship basically.
    Also I know it's 3d animated but damn some things take waaaay to long, I mean theres atleast 3 random points where all that is happening is that the 'bad guy' (Didn't catch his name, also he dies so no point checking) is looking around.
    Also whats up with the ships anyway, I mean they realised that you'ld have to have thrusters in other places than the back of the ship last centuary; and why do they stop moving when you turn off the thrusters too!? - Theres no goddamn resistance on the ships! Jesus the logistics of this show suck ass! Don't get me started with the space suit battle either! - Or the logistics of how the villian got in the firing line of the spacestation cargo launcher!

Rating: Don't watch it, it's so bad it's horrible.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 am

Lol, now I almost WANT to watch it xD

Last edited by KingK on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Gundam Unicorn

First off this wasn't as fabulous as I expected, it seems nothing will swipe away Gundam Wing's title as they gayest Gundam show ever; Perhaps in the explanation that it seems to be set in direct continuity to the original Gundam. Smashed up Zaku's floating in space and everything.

So yeah, this show's character development is sort of poor; some people seem to have ESP and know what to do when... others don't are are just there to die or stand in the background. Most people you see in episode 1 seem to the the 'die' type. cheers
    Anyway characters aside this is a mech show it's meant to be about badass mech battles yeah!? Well thankfully it did have a few but episode 1 cuts out before the titular mech gets serious - bawls. However theres a neat Zaku upgrade piloted by some bint which has drones; A good fight to watch if you ever played as Caldari in eve online I guess then; It doesn't have an axe (The Zaku's best weapon ever) though so I am disappoint.

Anyway, bitching aside the good part of this show is definently the art; though I was watching the blueray version... hrm~.
    Sunrise (Not KingK's Sunrise) seem to have mastered making their mechs look cool after they teamed up with CLAMP and made Code Geass so everything aside from the characters looks freakin' cool and is often equipped with glowy lights n' shit.

Music... Well I guess it was good because I never payed attension to it; perfectly backgroundish music!... Does that make it good or bad?... It does it's job so uh.... huh?

Overall, I think you should watch this if you like things which involve; Space, Mechs, Gundam or Giant Frikkin' Laser beams.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:40 pm

I like ponies, sudoku and the menopause. Any recommendations?
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:59 pm

A. Saki [Girls play a gambling game, there may be ponies involved somehow however this is unlikely.]
    B. Queens Blade [It'll have menopause in it somewhere I imagine, someone will probably be killed with it.]
    C. Anything published by Dark Horse.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:49 am

Dio wrote: However theres a neat Zaku upgrade piloted by some bint which has drones; A good fight to watch if you ever played as Caldari in eve online I guess then;

Caldari have very little drone capacity, Gallente are the drone race.

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:51 am

Arikawa under the Bridge

It's like if Itoshiki Nozomu (Sayonara Zetsubou sensei) was made into a hobo who lived under a bridge with a couple students from Cromartie... this is the best possible description for this show.

Actually I can't really comment, it's got the art of SZS, hell even the same voice actor for the main character and a mixes humor and chaotic characters with Cromartie.

Sengoku no Night Raid

This show is about japanese psychic government mafia someone or others, also it has allot of stuff in chinese which I suppose might be slightly authentic from what i've heard about asia's gang sitatuion in the past; except for the psychic government mafia bit; this show is obviously one of those 'assortment of people with special skills do missions' kind of shows; not sure what direction the main plot will head but my money is on them deciding the government is evil.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 am

Giant Killing

Fewtbahl Anymoo, *Cough* That is to say this anime is about football, basic idea of plot is that Japan's football team sucks (Funny that) so some guy who'd been playing in england comes back to whip the team into shape. This show almost verges on being like Akagi art wise (Arrowheads for Noses etc) and it's trying to do the same 'tension' thing to keep you watching.
    Somehow the intro and exit music annoys me, it's like if a j-pop band tried to sing a flogging molly song; it doesn't quite work.
    Anyway this show seems like it'll pick up, so it might be worth testing.

Next up on the try outs will either be Mayoi Neko overrun or KissXSis;
    Personally I'm more enclined to Overrun than the incest show to be honest.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Dio wrote:Giant Killing
    basic idea of plot is that Japan's football team sucks (Funny that)

Japan's football team don't suck. They're in the top 50 and have pulled off some pretty impressive results against decent opponents, and have won the Asian Cup more than anyone else. Managed to be the 1st team to properly qualify for this years World Cup if memory serves...
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:54 pm

And here I was told everyone outside of europe was terrible footballers,
    THE MORE YOU KNOW~
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:51 am

THE LESS YOU CARE~

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm

KissXSis

Well, my internet went down for a about 10 hours last night/this morning so I ended up watching... This, This shit.
    It's pretty blatent stuff, though it didn't even have the originality to be about incestious lesbians as I suspected; and rather it's about a pair of sisters trying to get with their little brother. Yeaaaah...
    If your looking for a fanservice show don't watch this either, it's got one of those boring settings where everyone is aware of the main character's situation and he wouldn't even get in shit about it if he did do something to his sisters.
    In all fairness I suppose I did manage to watch it unlike that 'Fault!!' video I just flat out deleted before watching this.

tl;dr : Fanservice show, guy gets hit on by his sisters. Looks weird while thinking in the bath too.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sat May 01, 2010 8:25 am

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
    Oh hey, this is a fanservice show. Oi, don't give me that look; I like it anyway.
    It's got a pretty typical plot, and it's clearly harem based; Couldn't say if it was based off a manga or Visual Novel though to be honest. Basically it's the inversion of Harry Potter; You go to Magic school and then the silly hat tells everyone that your going to be THE LORD OF DARKNESS [Mao = Demon, right?, Dai Gurren Dan = Big Gurren Team so... Dai Mao = Big Demon?]. Obviously a shitstorm ensues.
    This show has a nice selection of brightly coloured bints, seriously you can basically make a rainbow with the main heroines haircolours; which sets off my 'This is sort of lame' alarm. I don't know, I could see myself NOT liking this show; mostly since I can see everything thats going to happen coming plot wise, however it seems to play the trope straight enough that I can't set it against it.

Heroman
    So japan did an American super hero saves the day show, and actually it's set in... AMERICA!? Wait what?!
    Ok, Ironically I have to give it the thumbs up for an original setting despite being a high-school show, since it's in america and hell people even look slightly American. Mind you i'm betting this is another case of Japan laughing at America, stealing one of their comics and making a TV show for it better than the one they did.
    I like the character design for this show too, and totally not because of the intresting pictures you'll find over on Danbooru (Naturally). It's worth a watch if you want to see the whole superhero saving the day trope done straight, and yeah it manages to be slightly cool despite it'self.

Giant Killing (Revised)
    Ok, I'll have to appologise to this show,
    It's seriously starting to pick up after 4 episodes now I feel, also I can't help but notice nice little things about this show now that are often missed in other shows; example when theres a crows it actually does something, you can see flags waving, people shifting in their seats etc, also all the players on the pitch are never static; basically whoever's been making this show has actually thought about how people on the pitch move even when they're not the centre of attension.
    What i'm trying to say is that the art and animation is pretty solid, they don't forget to keep things moving in the background which is a major failing in allot of shows; especially older anime where you'll get things like only the person who is talking moving. [I'm looking at you Da Capo!]

Man, I must be in a good mood to write three positive reviews; don't worry i've got 'Sarai-ya Goyou' to rip apart next assuming my bro doesn't show up with that Wii I want to borrow.
    Outie
    Squadron Leader
    Squadron Leader

Number of posts : 402
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Roleplay
    Class: Old One
    Disposition: Sleeping

Post  Outie on Sat May 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Think Mao is demon king
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun May 02, 2010 11:34 am

It's not really new but...

Cat Soup
    What just happened?... I think I just had an acid trip.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Sun May 02, 2010 12:17 pm

Nah, you just ate some cat soup

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Kimi ni Todoke

Not really new, however despite how much of a big girl I feel like for watching this show I genuinely like it;
    Visuals are good, music hasn't really stood out to me aside from the fact I allways watch the OP and ED which is something i'm prone to skipping with allot of shows. When I watch it I get a vibe thats sort of like when I watch really laid back shows like Mushishi except that it's mixed with the vibe you get from things like Fruits Basket. That is to say it's pretty charming.
    I reccomend this show ; It's a very pleasing watch.

Seikon no Qwasar
    Ugh, can't believe I have to mention this shit alongside the previous gem. I mean what the fuck was this shit? It's not an 'anime' it's a 'hentai' lets be honest here people; and it makes Queens Blade look sensical and that show made a woman explode from lactation; oh right this show is all about lactation never mind that one weird character from queens blade. Also the male lead is exactly what every snarky self centered brat thinks he's like; honestly!
    Don't watch this! It's a waste of time!
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue May 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Not new either but;

Kurenai

The genre of this show seems to like to shift every now and then, so to speak it changes from Tragedy to Comedy to Action Drama depending on whatever situation it's throwing at the main characters - Oh who are by the way a Not-So-Normal HIgh School Student/Mediator/hitman Shinkuro who's been assigned to guarding the Child Noble Murasaki. I mean genre wise it doesn't really keep to any one ball park yeah but it still fits together; which is prettymuch the important part.
    Example Shinkuro has to use a genetic mutation during a fight so he heads over to the dojo where he learnt to fight; bringing along Murasaki who takes then takes the main role and switches the genre from Action to Slice of life - then in the next episode theres a Muscian. No seriously - And it somehow doesn't break the flow.
    I have to say I reccomend it; since a show which can catch me so off guard with a gag that
    I gob spit all over my face has to be given credit.

Tamaki: But being a lolicon is a problem, after all.
    Murasaki: Lolicon?
    Tamaki: It means he loves you.

edit;
    Actually just finished this; it's not a bad ending par-se but i'm still like bluh.
    Neutral endings are like that huh?
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu May 27, 2010 6:08 am

Zettai Karen Children

So I finished Kurenai and despite it not having a bad ending I still needed some cheering up, So I tried out something a little bit more upbeat sounding... Well I found out who that loli trio in NEEDLESS take the piss out of anyway! My god this show is attrocious; the intro music is almost the most obnoxious drivel thats been thrown up into my ears barring mabye the worse of IOSYS songs and that one show about the guys dead pets who came back as women (Let us never speak of it's music again). While the characters are facially varied the apparent male lead has something wrong with his face; it's hit chin... or mabye it's just his whole face in general but it seems like he's got a dire case of nose-mouth ; Which is when you have a mouth where your nose is meant to be. On the plus side it seems to be aimed at children and creepy otaku, which is to say it's got loli undertones to it...
    Tamaki: "But being a lolicon is a problem, after all."
    Oh right, thats probably not a plus.
    Really you can watch it if you REALLY want to, despite how annoying it can be it's still watchable...
    but I know what you'ld be watching it for.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu May 27, 2010 11:59 am

Idolm@ster Xenoglossa

So to inkeep wi- WAIT WHAT - THIS IS A MECHA SHOW!? That caught me off guard! So apparently they need Idols to pilot iDol mechas, yeah sure I guess that makes about as much sense as anything else i've seen in an anime. So what i've seen so far wasn't half as "Lolis dance and sing chirpy songs on a stage" as i'ld expect but this is Idolm@ster related so I guess it'll come up either way. So far my favourite character isn't any of the girls but "Promethius 1" one of the mechs who just decides it's going to flip the fuck out and save the day - just because it can y'know.
    Fuck yeah, A mecha show with a mecha as the best character!
    Anyway; The music is allot better than Zettai Karen Children's thats for sure; man i'm glad I took the gambit of going for a music based title. Anyway, i'll drop a watch this or don't watch this tag onto this review once i've seen a few more episodes to see if it decides to be obscenely awesome or not.

I contacted resident IdolM@ster expert Avatier about this show; turns out it's a mech show which simple uses the IdolM@ster characters and is actually completely non-cannon and irrelevent to main series... So basically it's like a Doujin Anime I suppose. Bandai Sunrise (actually) made it apparently, and they like their mechs ; they probably used IdolM@ster to sell it.

False packaging.
    Watch it if you like mech shows, but there'll be no fabulous dance routines for you.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:30 pm

The Sky Crawlers

I was intending to use this for a podcast review but i'm glad I got fed up and watched this,
    because it would have been shit material - not to mention that it only played about 2/3 of the way through.

This isn't fast paced, it's slow. Not mindnummingly slow like a certain OVA but just about slower than Technolyze - and thats pretty damn slow going. It's got more dialogue sure but it seems to be part of the school of "I'll try and tell you a story using as little words as possible", while in premise this may seem adult there is that thing about dialogue that it's what accelarates things for people (Perhaps not even just in film). I guess it's an ok watch if you've a few hours to kick back and chill but this killed my buzz something aweful. Generally speaking I don't like the character art, the music and CG seems to be fantastic and when those aspects kick in shit is going on ; but sadly most of the screentime is taken up by the characters faffing about and not doing much.

To be honest i'ld NOT watch this if your looking for some excitement - it makes good reserve material but don't resort to watching it unless you've something else like say a bottle of wine that needs seen to on the side. It's a perfect grumpy on your own kind of film, not good for if you've got guests at all i'ld say.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Sengoku Basara

Somehow this show makes almost all of it's characters go farther than twin-weapon fighting, what with a guy using two polearms and another using six katanas as claws this show goes immediately down batshit crazy action alleryway - and it's actually damn funny about it too. Infact just about any conversation between generals wearing red brings a grin to the face.

This is purified 'Shonen', that is to say that fighting is clearly awesome all the time.
    Watch it if you need a instant crazy action kick, I assure you despite it's facade of being based on historical warfare it's total pullshit plotwise. I mean one of the generals has a habit of talking english - and this is meant to be in feudal japan! To top it off his VERY FIRST LINE is "Are you ready guys!? PUT THE GUNS ON!!" - It should now occur to you that guns didn't get invented for probably another five-hundred years atleast (No i'm not checking my history books on that).

Souten Kouro

Now then, if you make a sufficient lore check you'll allready know the story to this series; ah ha but what do I mean by that? This is one of these shows which uses the Chinese tale of the Three Kingdoms as a basis; and it actually pulls it off in a pretty cool and mature kind of way. I was drawn into watching this after I saw Sengoku Basara and thought i'ld look for 'similar' series - then this series got pointed out to me since it's a hell of allot closer to history while still being badass.

This show is 'Seinen', a name usually reserved for things aimed at older audiences which weirdly puts it in the same neiche as Lucky Star, because they're both aimed at adult males y'see? Anyway regardless you should watch this too because it's totally fucking cool.

ps. Yes I learnt about chinese history from playing Dynasty Warriors and japanese history by playing Shogun Total War/Sengoku Rance., what of it?
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 am

Sounds interesting, I might give them both a view sometime.

Spoiler:
    note: gunpowder weapons started seeing use in japan around 1543, which is in the middle of the Sengoku Period

Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Angel Beats

This show is good, despite it having a 'high school setting' it's vert good and thats for one reason; It's not a high school in the normal world - it's a limbo of the dead and those there cannot die. Otonashi is a new student at this 'school', awakening he meets Yurippe the "I'm-Not-Dead-Yet Battlefront" leader (Name interchangable) who is busy focusing the sights of her sniper rifle upon a girl she calls 'Tenshi' (Or 'Angel') the sole threat against the Battlefront. However this angel is not all she seems to be and perhaps everyone isn't as well informed as they'ld like to think.

Anyway, introductions aside it's able go make twists on the normally sterile genre of slapstick - Since nobody in the show is able to die, or atleast not in the normal sense. Anyone shot down or sliced up will regenerate and get back on their way, both the Battlefront forces, Otonashi and of course Tenshi.

Damnit I was meant to stop introductions, goddamnit Angel Beats! This show drifts from simplicity to complexity quite seamlessly so it'll keep you on your toes, and sometimes you'll find yourself seeing the last of a face you thought would be around to the end. Thats just how angel beats goes.

Watch this shit, I wrote three paragraphs about it for god's sake.
    Top notch plot and visuals, it's even got stage preformances!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:37 am