Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class: Mage (40)
    Disposition:

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Post  Gazray4699 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:12 am

Hello and welcome to my review of the Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones.

Although it's a fairly old game and not at all on par with the new Prince of Persia, I still found it a good game to play. The unpredictable graphics simply seemed to add charm and amusement to the gameplay: such as beautiful gardens and stone statues with no seams visible; yet the character's hands apart from the Prince were obviously the typical blocky hands. All fingers bound together and a thumb that looks like a worm in Pinnochio's hand. Amusing and charming, I didn't really see it as much of an issue, merely something to smile about.

The story is also quite well set, continuing the tale of a trilogy - something the new Prince of Persia lacks: background. Although some may argue that the new Prince of Persia has a background, I would have to agree but it doesn't have that in-depth feel that comes from a character appearing constantly in three consecutive games. It feels like it actually happened and it did - you are the witness. Just that simple fact seems to add depth and entertainment that allows you to overlook the occasional bad graphic and such.

As for gameplay, it's the typical restrictiveness of a linear game, with only occasional branches from the main passageways that only lead to treasure and a puzzle where you can boost your health limit. However, the entire length of the game is littered with puzzles and only one solution when it comes to running and jumping. Trial and error seem to be the main tactic with this game and it seems to supersede the fact that everything appears to be one constant passageway.

The combat system is also tricky at first, relying on certain combos to make the fight easier while chucking swarms of enemies at the Prince. Most of the time, the best tactic is to use the speed kill function, where-in you sneak up behind the enemies and kill them assassin style. Unfortunately, if other enemies are facing you when you do this, it alerts all of them in the area, so you've only really made your job a little easier. Fighting isn't just rough and tumble, it seems to rely on tactics and the use of combos to complete fights rather than just button-mashing. Something commendable perhaps.

What seems to crown the entire game is that despite the sometimes poor graphics, the puzzles which end up getting annoying when you have to keep re-doing parts in order to get it right and the pretty unfair fights you are thrown into - the video sequences seem to smooth it all out, please the eye and overall give you more feeling for the story. Not only that, it was probably the first game of it's age to ever have those sequences within the game itself, part of the story.

So overall, for those who have no patience with puzzles or working things out, I'm sad to say this game is not for you. Until you gain an in-game function to undo your mistakes, your life will pretty much be repeating from the last checkpoint which tend to be few and far between. However, for those who like sticking to stories, fighting fights which demand a mind rather than brawn and biding your time in order to see the sometimes fantastic feats of graphics: this game will entertain you for however long it takes to complete it. It's difficult and sometimes fiddly, but it seems to pull you in and drag you along for the ride. Definitely worth playing.

Also, the girl in the trilogy whom you have to constantly rescue is named Farah. For those of you who have played the new Prince of Persia, I'm sure you'll be just as amused as I was to realise the new Prince happened to name his donkey the same thing. Who says programmers have no sense of humour?
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Re: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Post  Dio on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:06 pm

So it's not big n' sprawly like the later ps3 one then?

Additionally who is the coolest boss?
    Gazray4699
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class: Mage (40)
    Disposition:

Post  Gazray4699 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:25 am

No, it's not big and sprawly, though it has areas that are sometimes huge. The only problem is you only use about a quarter of the actual scenery, everything else is either too high for you to wall-run or requires sacrificing your life in order to see what lies at the bottom. It has one area called the Labyrinth though, that one gets confusing if you don't know what you're doing. I mean... there's only set paths you can follow in that area, but I've managed some physics defying jumps which end rather amusingly. My favourite end is when the Prince lands on the edge of a platform, breaks his ankle and falls off to his death. That's just funny.

As for the coolest boss, there are only four bosses in the game. It depends on your tastes really, one is a huge troll-like thing that's absolutely impossible to attack unless you take out it's eyes first. The second is something much akin to the Concubine in the PS3 version and it's just as annoying. The third is another huge troll thing, though I'm not sure if he is a boss or not. It's leaner than the original and all you really have to do is take out it's legs and then stick your dagger in it's head. What follows is the Prince riding a monster around a canal and trying not to crash. Then there's the Vizier who has transformed into this crab-like god-thing. i guess you might say he's the coolest, he has the best attacks and often uses the environment, making platforms which the Prince has to ascend before taking him out. Plus he's a huge glowy thing. But na, I think the third is the coolest. Who can beat riding a giant monster around a canal?
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Post  Dio on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:47 pm

Play shadow of the collosus; the first enemy you fight is just as cool.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:40 pm