Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Re: General Movie Chat

Post  mcmicken on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Oh by the way, am I the only one who thinks the movie of Fantastic Mr Fox looks pretty awesome? May have to find time to go see it.
    Not Jeff
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Number of posts : 173
    Registration date : 2009-05-08

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  Not Jeff on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:40 am

I think American Puie probably can qaulify as a modern classic to an extent, I mean it wasn't ground-breaking or anything technically. But they are actually a part of an entire generation, which is something you can't deny is impressive.

Oh, and yeah, as soon as I seen the first trailer I was excited about Fantastic Mr. Fox, remember it from when I was a kid Very Happy .
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:14 am

Decided to sit down and watch Mickey Rourke half-naked and sweating today in The Wrestler. Being an old-school WWF fan (I even keep loosely up-to-date with the modern equivalent) I thought it'd be a nice wee trip down memory lane.

Turns out it's actually a decent movie with Rourke delivering what'll probably be his last great performance. There was some kinda slow moments, but I thought it was quite nicely paced overall and the ending was pretty cool. I won't spoil it, but Bruce Springsteen playing over the credits was just a little bit perfect.

Oh, and this movie managed to prove Axl Rose aint a total dick, he donated "Sweet Child of Mine" to the movie for free because of the movie's budget. I guess everyone has a little bit of good in them.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Decided to have a wee movie session while I'm up in Edinburgh with nothing else to do. 4 for 20 at HMV is beautiful.

Went for...

The Good, The Bad, And The Weird - not watched it yet but it's a spoof of the Clint Eastwood movie. Will get round to watching it soon

Resident Evil: Degeneration - bought it because when it 1st came out it looked cool but didn't want to pay real money for it. Not bad but very predictable. Basically Resi Evil without the "fun" of actually playing it. 6/10 tops

Pineapple Expresss - had heard good things about this movie. Basically a movie about stoners on the run from big drug dealers. Some really funny scenes, a good fun movie with some nice little moments. 7.5/10

In Bruges - very good movie about a couple of hitmen who get sent to Bruge. Colin Farrell is on awesome form with Brendan Gleeson also putting in a fantastic co-lead role. Some nice funny little moments but some really emotional scenes. 9-9.5/10
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Just finished watching the Star Wars Holiday Special. I'd heard it was terrible so I decided to face it head on.

I didn't realise it was that bad. I feel like I've wasted 2 hours of my life. I'm genuinely pretty angry I sat through it. There's next to no plot, mental amounts of filler and unnecessary music bits. I hated it. Absolutely hated it. Should never have been created.

1/10 (the reason it doesn't get 0 is there was a wee bit with Boba Fett in it)
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Sherlock Holmes was rather good. Fat dog abuse is fun.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:10 pm

I liked it too.

mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Finally got round to watching The Hangover. Pretty decent movie likes. Tons of folk said it was an amazing movie but even though I liked it, it was like Pineapple Express in that I quite liked it but didn't think it was incredible.

Also now I think about it, I watched This is England a week ago. I wasn't sure it'd be my kind of film but the acting in it was increbible. It's about the skinhead movement and how certain groups became associated with racist violence. Has this kid in it who is unbelievably good in it. It feels quite real the way it all comes together. Directed by Shane Meadows, the guy who did Dead Mans Shoes. Might have to check out more of his work.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:24 am

Watched Dragonball Evolution. Not as bad as I thought it'd be. Didn't realise it was directed by Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle, et all) until the 1st fight scene looked awesome so I had to investigate. FX were pish, story wasn't exactly loyal to the manga or anime, new comers to the series would've been confused by a fair few things that weren't explained and the dialogue/acting sucked ass.

To be honest, if it didn't have the "Dragonball" name it'd probably be looked upon better, but still not a good movie. If it weren't for Chow and his fight scenes it'd be utter balls.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Finally getting round to watching Public Enemies. Awesome so far Very Happy I love Depp when he's with Tim Burton but this one just shows something else in his repetoire, that I'd love to see more of.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:02 am

Watched Moon a couple of nights ago after finding the soundtrack was done by the same guy who did the soundtrack to one of my favourite movies of last year "The Wrestler", Clint Mansell. The movie kicks ass. Directed by one of David Bowie's sons too.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 am

Finally got to see Up after too long.

AWESOME movie Very Happy Absolutely loved it. Still wish I'd seen in 3D at the cinema though.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:38 am

In the past few days I've watched a couple of awesome movies.

Taxi Driver - Robert De Niro saying "you talkin' to me?" to a mirror. Pretty cool movie
    Gran Torino - been meaning to see this for ages, Clint Eastwood showing the kids how it's done.

Also got a subscription to LoveFilm thanks to a 2month free thing curtesy of my mate so I'll be getting more movies watched pretty sharpish. Any people recommend that are worth a watch?
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 am

So far from LoveFilm I've watched

Star Trek - I've never watched the series at all but naturally know plenty from pop culture. Was well impressed by this, didn't think I'd be a huge fan but it was a really good watch *8/10

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - now as a fan of westerns I was quite looking forward to this one but I struggled to get into it. Brad Pitt was awesome as JJ but it didn't really do anything for me past that. Also the disk was faulty so missed bits and pieces *6/10

Resevoir Dogs - yet another film that proves Tarantino is a genius. This is the earliest one of his I've seen and I was a really big fan of it. Only issue with it? Wish'd it was longer and some of the dialogue was a bit better. *9/10
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Finished watching Crazy Heart. Nothing new or pushing any boundaries but a really nice wee movie about a country singer. Jeff Bridges was really cool in it and made it more watchable than other similar movies about run-down, ex-famous people.
    Not Jeff
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  Not Jeff on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Movies for free! But they're supposed to be!

'Cause their copyright periods are finished.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Post  Dio on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Not Jeff wrote:Movies for free! But they're supposed to be!

'Cause their copyright periods are finished.

I like this idea.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 pm

No Country for Old Men was next on the LoveFilm list. Rather good movie. Nice to hear people using less soundtracks for a change. Made it a much better atmosphere.

Going to be a big kid and see Toy Story 3 tomorrow though Very Happy Rather excited because it'll be the 1st time I've seen a 3D movie at the cinema.

Ooh, Inception looks like it's gonna kick ass too. May have to go to that one eventually.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Didn't get to see Toy Story :( Sold out.

Watched Wall-E tonight though. Amazing film :)
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:33 pm

WELL

Been a busy week for movies...let's see.

Inception - went to the movies to see this. Was kick ass! Very clever, nicely paced and again showing DiCaprio is more than just a pretty boy. This boy can act! 8.5-9/10

Rock n Rolla - I'll be honest I rented this on my LoveFilm purely on the "Guy Ritchie - back to his best" lines in reviews. Not bad but it didn't feel like Lock Stock or Snatch. Felt like he had too much money on it. Again, not a bad movie but I loved the Statham movies too much so I'll always use them as a yardstick for his gangster movies. 6.5-7/10

Toy Story 3 - wanted to see this ever since I heard about it because I'm a big kid. Also my 1st 3D movie at the cinema. Really enjoyed the movie but found the 3D to be pretty pointless. Inspired me to see another 3D movie though to see it used properly and not just as a gimick. 7.5-8/10

Shutter Island - got this because it looked cool and I'm a big DiCaprio fan. Pretty basic premise but Scorcese and DiCaprio it just elevates it so much. Almost had a The Shining feel to it. If anything this is a great movie to show the difference between a so-so director and a great director. 7.5-8/10

Sorry for not giving decisive scores...just none of them seemed to stick to a certain figure.
    Not Jeff
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  Not Jeff on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:04 am

I also enjoyed Inception.

Predators is fun, you know what you're getting going in and it delivers.

Just watched There Will Be Blood on iplayer, it's up until the 'morrow (15/8/2010).

I would recommend it, the music works well with it and it's got damned interesting charachters.

Post  Guest on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:12 pm

inception:Incredible - stunning I'd say women and men will equally like it - which is cool and rare.

I love the psychological questions it poses - a journey through somebody's mind, and finding that your worst enemy is yourself.

I love the way it deals with grief.

And I fell that it represents to me an analogy of addiction - when you lose somebody you love because they are addicted to the reality they create, the other world, rather than the real world.

Yeah, just everything really, I love the whole thing, it is just incredible. I watched it today, and at the end, everyone in the cinema just stood up and clapped.

It was amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:46 am

Going to see this tonight. Been looking forward to it since I saw the trailers a couple of months ago.

mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:13 am

'Mazing movie! Well enjoyed it. Got a bit of everything I like in a movie. Some awesome fight scenes, so many calls to video game culture and a wee smidge of romance too :) Still not a huge fan of Michael Cera though. The whole movie kinda reminded me of No More Heroes the Wii game. Not the most original plot but it's really nicely done and it's got a lot of charm to it which scores big in my books

8/10
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Watched Kick Ass again last night. Still holds up :)

Also got 24 Hour Party People from LoveFilm. Pretty good movie, interesting to see how the Manchester music scene moved. Also Steve Coogan is a rather funny man. 6.5-7/10

Finally bought This is Spinal Tap too, a proper classic. Can't wait to chuck that in and relive it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:38 am