Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Dragonball Origins

Post  mcmicken on Sun May 24, 2009 3:19 pm

I never really watched DB or DBZ extensively back in the day, mainly because we didn't have cable at the time but whenever we went on holiday, there was always Cartoon Network on so my brother and myself sat and watched it. One of the main things I remember from that time was the epic battles on Dragon Ball Z that seemed to go on for episodes without really going anywhere. Still, it was my first exposure to cartoons that actually had plot.

Fast forward to the future and having played a few Dragon Ball related games to fill out the story I was left quite disappointed. The games never really captured the humour or the action of the anime I remember. Despite this, I usually bought the adventure games if they came out on GBA or DS, never really dabbling in the fighters (aside from some fun sessions avec Dio and another guy). Eventually I stumbled into my local Gamestation to buy Suikoden Tierkreis when I noticed DB Origins on the cheap so I thought "hell, give it a wee shot"

I was pleasantly surprised. The game (I'm told) follows the first couple of story arcs in the original DragonBall series (where Goku's young little boy and Bulma is pretty damn fine (well younger and finer)). For those who don't know, it's Goku and the slender, more-doable (*slap* calm down Scott...) Bulma go searching for them magic balls so they can make wishes.

The gameplay was obviously stol-I mean, inspired by Zelda and the Phantom Hourglass which is no bad thing, it's functional, aside from a few commands not being recognised as what you meant them to be and utilises the touch screen in a useful way that doesn't feel forced. In fact, the whole game is played with the touch screen (you can use the d-pad for movement but the other buttons assigned to the camera or switching between fist and rod mode (ooh err...)).

The graphics aren't too shoddy either. The system handles the 3D sprites quite well although I experienced slow-down in busier screens. The facial expressions are typically anime-esque and over-exagerated which at first bugged me, but once I got into it, it really lended itself to the script and the characters.

The storyline is where this game excells. Having not read the mangas or seen the anime, it was all new to me and I've read that the story is more than 75% the same which is cool for old fans who want to recreate the old adventures. It's not often I laugh at the script in a game for the right reasons either. Origins had me chuckling away and it was such a refreshing trip down memory lane to see some of the stuff that people could write back before (in the UK at least) the BBC started fucking everything up in an attempt to not offend anyone EVAR. Luckily the dour faced Brits weren't allowed to touch this and some rather risqu jokes (baring in mind, this was aimed at the young 'uns) were allowed to stay.

The adventure mode, if you don't fancy faffing about collecting everything and unlocking everything and just go through the story in just over 10 hours. And that's me playing it. But for those OCs amongst us, there's plenty to unlock too which would extend the play by quite a bit.

Overall, this was a nice little timewaster. It was fun, well-written, gameplay was solid and it had Bulma dressed in a bunny-girl outfit. What more could one want from a game?

Anyway, I'm off to have a cold shower and not think about that sexy pixelated beauty.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Re: Dragonball Origins

Post  Dio on Sun May 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Amusingly enough Android 18 is rated as 2ch's 2nd hottest character according to sankaku complex
    [See Article Here]

Sadly Bulma doesn't make the list but since it's DB rule /34/ applies quite readily,
    Drop a line in the adult's club if you feel bored enough to issue a treasure hunt.
    I'm sure there has to be some real stupid doujins or such out there worth laughing at.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun May 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Nah, I aint into that kind of thing. I don't understand how people can get of on cartoons...

But I can appreciate nice looking drawings.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun May 24, 2009 4:14 pm

*Chuckles* Understandable.
    Just thought i'ld goad you to see if you'ld actually decided to roll with it.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 am

That's understandable. But I like 4D things.

Bulma is hotter in the game than the anime in my personal opinion :P
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon May 25, 2009 10:34 am

4D?...
    Y z 2
    |/_X 3

where's 4?
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 am

Time is the 4th dimension, well not technically but I consider myself above mathematics and science.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon May 25, 2009 10:54 am

mcmicken wrote:Time is the 4th dimension, well not technically but I consider myself above mathematics and science.

Aye, but time applies to 2D things too.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon May 25, 2009 12:07 pm

But they don't age naturally like a human or a plant would do.

And there is a real 4th dimension, although it's something to do with movement and to be honest I stopped caring quite a while ago.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon May 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Isn't that just bio-degrading?...
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue May 26, 2009 4:50 am

I'd call it living and dying but again, stopped caring.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I hope they release more in this series. I'd like it to cover more of the story.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Thu May 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Oh, another thing I enjoyed about the game.

One of the sound effects says gonk.

Cool game Cool

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 pm