Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Soul Calibur Legends (Wii)

Post  mcmicken on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Right, I've had this one kicking about for a long time without me playing it. A couple of days ago in my boredom I decided to suck it up and give it a run, if only to justify me having bought it in the first place.

To start with I'll give you a warning. Just because it says Soul Calibur on the box doesn't mean it's as good as Soul Calibur (or bad depending on your opinion of the series). The only similarities are in the characters and some of the moves. Not many though.

The storyline revolves around Siegrfried, a twat who is chosen by Soul Edge because of his totally cool blonde hair and his "look after number 1" attitude (the latter of which predictably changes to a "look after all my fwiends!" attitude when he actually GETS SOME FUCKING FWIENDS). He (and his fwiends) go around searching for shards of Soul Edge (initially for power but then to get rid of Soul Calibur, held by a big fuck-off giant hairy bastard. Who is messing with his fwiends) and other random bollocks that seems interesting to the characters.

You start of with Siegfried but you gather other comrades (fwiends) as you go along who each have their reasons for joining your crew. The playable ones are Ivy, Astaroth, Sophitia, Taki, Mitsurugi and a rather strangely placed Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. There's also a dude called Iska who follows you about but you can't play as him because he's a pussy who lost his family (which he brings up in every FUCKING conversation).

The gameplay is what I'd describe as a more linear, boring Dynasty Warriors with less dudes to kill and even less attack strategy. You swing the remote like a fanny and people fall down. As with all Soul Calibur's the guard break is there which is quite useful in sticky situations (if you manage to get yourself in such a position in the first place...) and it's quite charming to see enemy ninjas pretending to be Yun Sung (or whatever he's called) just like in the game. But the novelty wears off.

Enemies come in different shapes and sizes (namely dudes or animals, big or small) and at the end of the day don't make a lot of difference. The small ones take about 3-4 hits to nail, the big ones take a bit more. Hooray.

I'll wrap it up here. You could buy this game, it's Ok. It doesn't do anything hideously wrong, but doesn't do anything spectacular that'd make me want to come back and replay it. The story mode is relatively short and unfulfilling, the characters are similar enough for me not to care and the ability to switch characters during a stage isn't necessary half the time. If you want to play it, I recommend stealing it or renting it. It's not worth money.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Re: Soul Calibur Legends (Wii)

Post  Dio on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Basically it's like exercise, for one arm that you could otherwise get by having a wank?
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:37 am

Pretty much yeah, but as I don't have much internet access it does the job. It has a party mode which is apparently 2 player but I've not checked it out yet. Don't think I will to be honest...

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:05 am

I completed it ages ago. It is pretty shabby, although did think the last boss was fun (You actually had to think about it!)

But for the most part it's just swing swing swing swing swing swing swing swing, stuff dies.
    I did find a move for Siegfried that was fun, by holding down B and stabbing the remote he charges forward with his sword giving off blue soul charge energy, which I named Giga Drill Breaker, because it was a move to the same effect and worked the best against pretty much everything.

Anyway, the game was indeed a let-down, as not even the twist at the end saves the storyline from being detestable. (Plus no Kilik - probably why this game suffered.)

Spoiler:
    The king turns out to be a woman, who turns out to be a homunculus created by Iska to look like his dead sister =(. You destroy her and Iska fights you with soul edge and soul calibur.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 am

Kilik...never a big fan of the guy himself. Especially after he became a total spam-tastic character.

I'll probably finish it just to justify the time I've invested in it so far (about 4ish hours)
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:28 am

Well I finally got round to finishing it off yesterday and I have to say, compared to the rest of the game, the final boss was pretty kick-ass. Took me a few goes to beat him but pretty satisfying after I finally clipped his wings and tea-bagged him.

If only the rest of the game was as satisfying.

I guess those sentiments sum it up quite nicely actually, the game had potential and it showed signs of promise, but it just could pull it all together. A shame really.

Still, at least I don't have to play it again :P Trade In ahoy!
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Post  Dio on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:18 am

Money Ahoy!
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:25 am

Or I could melt it down and use it as fuel. Or throw it into the sun.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:28 am